Staff Cloud Engineer
Cape Town, South Africa
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2023
Yoco is on a mission to help the businesses of tomorrow get started, and get paid – be a part of the team that changes financial services in Africa. Curious. Data-driven. Purposeful. Sound like you? It sounds a lot like us too.We are a fast-growing African technology company made up of over 350 team members globally. All with a bias for boldness, and a passion for simple, progressive solutions.Founded in 2015, Yoco is now the payments provider for over 200 000 business owners and processes over $2bn annually.The DevOps team at Yoco forms part of our rapidly growing Cloud Engineering & ICT function and is responsible for infrastructure, cloud environments and our hosting platform capabilities. Similarly to the other teams which make up the function, one of the DevOps team’s key goals is to be enablers and contribute to a solid foundation upon which all our products and services can be built. The teams strive not to be blockers and provide as much autonomy as possible to the areas they support as well as implement the relevant guard rails to ensure we can build amazing things quickly and securely. ROLE | WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?Working at one of the fastest-growing fintech in Africa means you’ll be solving some unique challenges that we’re faced with. We’re looking for a talented engineer who’s excited by the opportunity to contribute to something meaningful and to work with a team of highly skilled engineers delivering impactful solutions.Automation is key in being able to achieve the scale we aim to operate on and ensuring we are agile means we’re not only able to scale quickly but we’re also able to adapt and constantly iterate on our systems. Key responsibilities:
- Keep our systems running - lead the troubleshooting and debugging of performance problems and architecture bottlenecks.
- Contribute to the design and deployment of systems infrastructure for installing secure, highly available software at scale.
- Work alongside a broader team of world-class engineers, sharing knowledge and collaborating on various projects.
- Automate common functionality to empower various departments to manage their infrastructure needs independently.
- Implement, monitor and scale systems that support large amounts of data and requests with a very high percentage of availability.
- Work cross-functionally to understand the requirements for architecting infrastructure according to scale and high volumes of data.
- Maintain and improve our various systems and infrastructure such as CI/CD, monitoring, logging and observability.
- Continue to establish and refine our best practices for security, disaster recovery, migration and expansion of business systems infrastructure.
- At least 8+ years of production-level experience in designing, building and maintaining public cloud-based infrastructure (AWS, Azure or GCP)
- At least 6+ years experience as a Senior member of a team.
- Extensive production-level experience deploying software in a service-based and event-driven architecture.
- Expert in debugging issues, identifying faults and enhancing logging of software.
- Are experienced in IT infrastructure and systems security, cloud or network systems management, and business continuity.
- Have expert knowledge of infrastructure-as-code tooling, configuration management and container orchestration software. Ansible, Puppet, Kubernetes (EKS or AKS) and Hashicorp tooling (Terraform, Nomad, Consul, Vault, Packer etc.)
- Are experienced in writing code in languages such as Python, Ruby, Go etc.
- Take lead on various projects and work collaboratively across the entire organisation.
- Are transparent, articulate and driven to succeed.
- Have a passion for enabling teams of software engineers.
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way